Sant Climent de Taüll
From 10.00 to 14.00 and from 16.00 to 19.00 (July and August until 20.00)
How to get there
The church is located at the entrance of the village of Taüll. Parking at the right of the main route. Restroom available.
Sant Climent de Taüll was consecrated on the 10th of December 1123 by Ramon Guillem, bishop of Roda-Barbastro, the church of Sant Climent was built on an earlier church dating from the 11th century. It is a prototype for basilical plan Romanesque churches, with three naves separated by columns and covered with a wooden gable roof, the top of the church with three apses and a bell-tower.
The Pantocrator of Sant Climent de Taüll has been the most frequently used emblematic image to represent Catalan Romanesque art. The original is kept in the National Museum of Catalan Art but the church contains a copy, together with other fragments from the original painting, of particular note being the scene with Cain and Abel.
Three Romanesque carvings complete the furnishings inside the church.